This article provides instruction on submitting Canvas assignments via a file upload. Many different Apps can save to a file that can be submitted to Canvas, but for this knowledge base article, we are using Notability. The screens in other Apps might look different, but the general workflow should be the same. You can also submit assignments to Canvas directly from third-party Apps. For instructions on how to do that, please see the knowledge base article "Canvas assignment submissions via third-party Apps."
1. Tap the "Share" button on your App
2. Under the "Send To" section tap "Other Apps"
3. For Notability, confirm that the File Format is PDF, then tap "Share Note"
4. Tap "Save to Files"
5. You will now be asked to "Choose a new location to add this item." If you have a file structure that you have set up, you can navigate to that location then select that location. In this instance, we are selecting your iCloud Drive.
6. Once you select a valid location for the file to be saved, select "Add" to save the file to that location.
7. Once the file has been saved, go to the Canvas App and locate the class and assignment that you need to submit. At the bottom of the Assignment Details page, tap the "Submit Assignment" details button.
8. Tap "Files" from the Submission screen.
9. The "Recents" screen appears and if your file is there, you can tap your file to select it or you can tap "Browse" in the lower right corner then navigate to where you saved your file. In our case, we tapped iCloud Drive, then selected the file you wanted to submit.
10. Once you tap the file you want to submit, you will be brought back to the Submission page. Tap "Submit" to submit your file.
11. If you have Canvas notifications on, once you submit the assignment, you will see a notification appear on your iPad.
12. You can verify that the submission was successful by locating the Assignment page and seeing "Successfully submitted!" in the Assignment Details section.
You can also submit assignments to Canvas directly from third-party Apps. For instructions on how to do that, please see the knowledge base article "Canvas assignment submissions via third-party Apps."