Starting in the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, we will use Google Drive to exclusively store and/or backup your files. Storing files on Google Drive has many advantages, most notably is the ability to access your files from any device that has a connection to the internet.
Getting files from your computer to Google Drive is a simple as copying them from your hard drive to Google Drive in your browser. Below are instructions to assist you.
1. Locate the files that you want to back up to Google Drive. Please note that files that are already in your Google Drive folder are automatically backed up to Google Drive. You can copy any files into your Google Drive folder and they will be backed up.
2. Log into your Upper St. Clair School District Gmail account. We recommend using the Google Chrome browser to perform the copy.
3. Click on the Google App launcher (the Rubick's cube-like icon) and select Google Drive.
5. Once in Google Drive, click on the Cog Wheel and select Settings. In the General settings, make sure that the "Convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format) is not checked. This will ensure that the files that you copy to Google Drive are not converted over to the Google Apps format.
6. There are two ways to copy your files over to Google Drive.
Option 1 - Copy the files over
Locate the files and / or folders on your hard drive that you want to copy over to Google Drive and select them. Click and drag them from your hard drive over to your Chrome browser that is logged into your Upper St. Clair School District account. Release the trackpad or mouse and your files will begin to copy over just like you were copying files over normally. You will see a window pop up in the lower right corner of the browser window that will show you the files as they get copied over to Google Drive. The larger the number and size of files, the longer that this process will take.
Option 2 - Use the Google File or Google Folder Uploader
Click on New in the left corner of Google Drive and select File Upload or Folder Upload. A window where open where you can navigate to your hard drive to select the appropriate file(s) or folder to upload to Google Drive. Click the Upload button and, if asked, select the Upload button when asked if the files are trusted. You will see a window pop up in the lower right corner of the browser window that will show you the files as they get copied over to Google Drive. The larger the number and size of files, the longer that this process will take.